Barbegal through the ages ...
The round tower was built in the Roman period.
In the eighteenth century the property belonged to the family of Laurens de Beaujeu. This is a known family in Avignon since the 1470s, whose descendants settled in Arles.
The last of Laurens de Beaujeu, Henry died in 1783 without prostérité, and left his property to Du Roure, with her mother, Theresa. It is from here that Du Roure bore the title of Baron de Beaujeu, and were owners of the domain Barbegal, they "clothed" in the farmhouse with the castle big tower.
Around 1700, a housing for the "Baile" (manager in Provençal) was built leaning against the tower. On the right the farm was converted into a manor house with a part on stilts.
The round tower served as a stable for riding horses.
A garage for carriages, was built at the bottom of the ramp (current level of the portal).
Wetlands were drained around the Castle, a garden "in French" it was built. It remains today its entry:
a beautiful portico with a double staircase,
At the same time, the chapel was built,
In 1847, a wing of the house is burning and the master of the house decides to rebuild and beautify Barbegal to house members of his family.
To finance the work he sells the domain of Vergières.
It removes the tower on stilts, connects the main house with that of Baile, enhances the one-story round tower that adorns niche by succumbing to the fashion of the "neo-feudal".
The garden also succumbed to the fashion of an English park.
Baron brings back from his travels several rare species: the deciduous cypress and cypress trees in Florida.
To date the park has many beautiful specimens.
He expanded the chapel he gave in Rome in 1851. The work is completed in 1852.
In the early twentieth century the field extends over 1200 hectares with many a rent and vineyards which is still used (The cellars baracan).
During World War II, the German army occupied the castle.
In order to camouflage the occupying painted green, and will remain so until 1964, becoming a local attraction.
The owners of the Castle expelled by the German army placed themselves under the protection of Our Lady of Fatima.
At the end of the war, they set up a statue of Our Lady of Fatima on the round tower and organized numerous processions to the sale of the Castle in 1976.
The end of the war marked the decline of the domain that was Barbegal divided and sold.